Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mensaje nº 019: RE: Juror in Arizona and San Francisco.


Elena Rocchi
Juror at ASU Herbeger Institute of Architecture Phoenix and
CCA San Francisco
April 2012
 


I would resume my intervention in the Juries of Claudio Vekstein, Catherine Spellmann, John Menuier In Phoenix, Thesis Projects and Christofer Haas, Joshua Stein 4th Year Studio Design project in CCA San Francisco, with the subject of Intricacy, that was offered to me By John Meunier to reflect on.

The subject “intricacy” is everything about me and my last 20 years of working as an architect.

To me Intricacy is labirinth, impenetrable in the sense of order and apparent regularity.
A misterious significance, bizarre, incoherent, where you loose the reality
Each element in it, has a location unique but each system is sending a sign to the other. 
I start now to understand that the comunication between the parts  is “Intricacy”. 
But it is something I cannot pronounce because it is “elusive”, ... it is still on process... 
It is about “Order of chance”...

I can’t perceive the reality without a mediation of a cultural interpretation.

Once I went to the Asplund cemetery and I felt something new different from the pictures I saw in books. When I was back, I told Miralles and he answered me why architects need to go the place things you can experience by reading a plan of the same thing.
Pure Intellectual and fantastic mental elaboration.

Intricacy is not Phisical but mental.

It is Here, there, a little bit over there.
Asimmetry means two complementary things, here and there.
Architecture is for me complementary in mind and through experience with other things over there.

Modernity brought Iguality and interchange of everything here and there.
A map neutral without distance (experience) that we call space.

Before, Marco Polo, perception of places, unique each one, after (Colombo) unlimited extension, a here without there, without horizon.
Es lo que Lévinas llama una totalidad

Architecture generate relations between here and there with transictions between them and what is beyond.
Intricacy...Time